Designing a coastal home means taking nature into consideration first and foremost in one’s design process. The views, the natural light and, the cross breezes – all of these elements will inform the furniture placement, lightning plan, the durability of materials and finishes used throughout and, of course, the color scheme.
Living rooms and family rooms would often be furnished with light colored sofas and chairs. We prefer pure white or off-white fabrics designed to be stain resistant for easy cleaning. We accessorized those coastal home sofas with lots of colorful pillows and soft patterned throws.
For those happy moments after the beach, when families and friends gather around an oversized coffee table, we love using floor cushions for casual feel and endless seating opportunities.
Beach house floors are often natural stone or tile (practical for sand-covered bare foot experience) or light natural woods for a more relaxed beach house look. We love layering natural floor coverings, especially sisal, seagrass and wool for living areas.
As always, dramatic ceiling light fixtures are a must! We love using chandeliers and pendants made out of natural materials such as glass, capiz or coconut shells.
Here are some basic tips for designing a beautiful and functional living room:
- Your lighting plan should include variety of light sources and all of them should be adjustable – dimmers are a must!
- Add softness to a room by using fabrics and upholstery.
- Living room should always have atleast two smaller conversation areas.
- Comfort is key in a living room – furniture arangement should be flexible, accessible and guest-friendly.
- Make your living room as personal as possible with unique accessories, travel mementos and custom throw pillows.
- Use several smaller side and end tables instead of a large coffee table – they will create instant interest.
- Or, opt for an oversized coffee table that will make a dramatic impact in a room.
- Find lighting that complements your space an design style.
Olga Adler is an award-winning interior designer and principal of Olga Adler Interiors in Delray Beach, Florida – a boutique design studio creating captivating spaces that are instant conversation starters.
Drawing from her European heritage and impressive travel portfolio Olga Adler creates sophisticated looks that are as comfortable as they are chic. Her designs combine a mix of international styles and periods to create a sophisticated global look – a worldly blend of pattern, color and texture.